- About us
- Our Ministers
What we do
- Attract and facilitate investment
- Build a strong forest industry
- Deliver transport services
- Develop cultural and creative industries
- Enhance innovation and grow the Information and Communication Technology sector
- Skills Tasmania
- Grow our sectors and maximise competitive advantages
- Grow regional economic prosperity
- Invest in infrastructure to drive economic growth
- Planning reform
- Promote trade and industry
- Regulate the racing industry
- Support the growth of mining
- Support and grow small business
- Harness energy as an economic driver
- Grants and funding
Tasmanian South Asia Mission
Tasmania and Sri Lanka
In Sri Lanka the Tasmanian South Asia Mission explored mutually beneficial links with a particular focus on tertiary education and vocational training opportunities, our expertise in renewable energy, and the binding links cricket holds for our communities and the opportunities this presents.
Sri Lanka’s developing economy and synergies with Tasmania, notably its relatively small size and island status, presents us with opportunities to provide expertise in the further development of renewable power and water projects, establishment and management of hydro, wind and solar power and integrated energy solutions, and flood mitigation and flood warning systems.
Insights were shared in the maritime and advanced manufacturing arenas such targeted education programs around maritime, marine sciences and shipbuilding through the work of both the Australian Maritime College and the Institute of Marine and Antarctic Science at the University of Tasmania, and the Colombo International Nautical and Engineering College.
Tasmanian and Sri Lankan businesses came together for a unique chance to exchange ideas and explore business and exchange opportunities at a dedicated business growth event run by the Sri Lanka Australia New Zealand Business Council.
With Sri Lanka’s growing appetite for premium produce and high-quality goods and services, and as it grows its own reputation as a high-end travel destination, Tasmania has an opportunity to provide valuable insights, to be a niche provider of goods and services, deliver a sought after education and training experience for international students.
As the similarities between the aims of Sri Lanka and Tasmania begin to further align, establishing long-term and firm foundations in our relationship is an opportunity not to be missed.