- Forestry (Unlocking Production Forests) Bill 2017
- Wood and Fibre Processing Innovation Program 2016
- Rebuilding Tasmania's Forest Industry
- Forestry Tasmania Transition
- Tasmanian Regional Forest Agreement (RFA)
- Permanent Native Forest Estate Policy
- Special Species Timber Management Plan
- Management and Utilisation of Forest Residues
- Contractor and Employee Programs
- Forest Stewardship Council Certification for Forestry Tasmania
- Past programs and information
- Ministerial Advisory Council on Forestry
- Tasmanian Wood Encouragement Policy
Forestry Tasmania Transition
The Minister for Resources and the Treasurer announced a review of the Forestry Tasmania in September 2014. Objectives of this review were:
- to examine the most appropriate options to deliver economically viable and sustainable forest management and wood production outcomes for the State
- to consider the Forestry Tasmania operating model, commercial arrangements and constraints and the impact on its financial performance
- to identify options for the short term to limit the losses and consider the current and future role of Government in the public production forests.
The Final Report from this review was considered by Government in April 2015 and an in-principle decision has been made to restructure Forestry Tasmania's operating model to focus on growing trees, managing land and selling wood to domestic customers.
To inform a final decision on the details of the new model, a comprehensive program of industry and stakeholder consultation was undertaken during June and July 2015. The State Government has considered the feedback from this consultation as part of the ongoing process to transition Forestry Tasmania to ongoing sustainability. A summary of the issues raised is available below.
In October 2016, the Minister for Resources addressed the Lower House, outlining the Government’s decisions on a number of matters relating to the future of the Tasmanian forest industry, including the restructure of Forestry Tasmania, and its renaming to Sustainable Timber Tasmania from 1 July 2017. The Minister’s statement is available below.
- Ministerial Statement Forestry October 2016
- Forestry Tasmania letter to shareholders
- Terms of reference for the Forestry Tasmania Review PDF, 174.66 KB
- Redacted Forest Steering Committee Report PDF, 1787.64 KB
- Ministerial Statement 29 April 2015 PDF, 39.68 KB
- Media Release 29 April 2015 - Securing the future of Forestry Tasmania PDF, 49.16 KB
- Media Release 29 April 2015 - EOI for Southern residue options PDF, 30.77 KB
- Media Release 30 April 2015 - Macquarie Wharf PDF, 26.21 KB
- Summary of issues raised at June July 2015 FT review stakeholder consultation PDF, 75.97 KB
- Ministerial Statement Forestry May 2014
- Forestry Tasmania Transition 2011