- Wood and Fibre Processing Innovation Program 2016
- Tasmanian Regional Forest Agreement (RFA)
- Permanent Native Forest Estate Policy
- Special Species Timber Management Plan
- Management and Utilisation of Forest Residues
- Contractor and Employee Programs
- Forest Stewardship Council Certification for Forestry Tasmania
- Past programs and information
- Ministerial Advisory Council on Forestry
- Tasmanian Wood Encouragement Policy
Public comment is open for the draft Tasmanian Special Species Management Plan
The Tasmanian Government has released a consultation draft of our state’s first Special Species Management Plan (the Plan).
The Plan has been prepared in accordance with the requirements of the Forestry (Rebuilding the Forest Industry) Act 2014.
The Plan has been developed to provide a management framework for the long-term and sustainable harvesting of Tasmanian special species timbers.
Public comment is being sought on the development of the Plan.
Submissions must be received by no later than 9am Monday 28 August 2017.
Enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to make a submission
A submission form has been provided to assist you in making a response.
You are encouraged to use the submission form as it will assist the Department in collating and publishing submissions, and contacting you for additional information, if needed.
Submissions can be sent directly to the Department of State Growth by emailing: email@example.com
Written submissions can be sent to:
Department of State Growth
Attn: Submissions – Special Species Management Plan
GPO Box 536
Hobart TAS 7001
Please contact the Department of State Growth – Resources Policy on (03) 6166 3486 if you require further information on the Plan and how to make a submission.
Reports that support the Plan
A number of reports have been prepared to assist in the development of the Tasmanian Special Species Management Plan. Additional information and links to these reports are provided below.
In accordance with the requirements of the Forestry (Rebuilding the Forest Industry) Act 2014, a conservation assessment of Future Potential Production Forest land was undertaken as part of the development of the Management Plan.
In order to determine the established supply of land included in the Management Plan, Resource Assessments were undertaken of:
- future potential production of special species timbers from couped-up areas of the Permanent Timber Production Zone land (PTPZ land)
- current potential standing volume of special species timbers on other public land tenures/classes to which the Management Plan applies.
Market Demand Studies
Two Market Research studies were undertaken to better understand demand for special species timbers, and the supply chains through which special species timbers are distributed.
Celery-top Pine Harvesting Trial
As part of investigations into alternative harvesting techniques, Forestry Tasmania undertook a trial of group selection harvesting for the target species celery-top pine in coupe EPO48C.
A detailed report has been prepared by Forestry Tasmania of planning, harvesting, transport and segregation of logs harvested.